[openbox] [RELEASE] Openbox 3.4.3 and ObConf 2.0.2

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Wed Aug 1 09:42:59 EDT 2007

danakj at orodu.net said:
> Introducing the one and only fantabulous Openbox 3.4.3!

OK, so I finally got around to upgrading at least my dualhead Debian
sarge workstation to 3.4.3 (from 3.4.0!).

A couple of comments on some of the changes:

> Smart window placement now comes with a "center" option, to have it
> center windows when it is placing them, rather than putting them in
> the top left corner. ObConf 2.0.2 will let you change this option.

The default seems to be "yes" as opposed to "no" (the old behaviour),
which confused me for a bit.  Also, I'm seeing the following change in
behaviour related to window placement.  Just went and downloaded 3.4.2
to check, and this behaviour has changed between 3.4.2 and 3.4.3:

My TwinView configuration uses two heads, each 1280x1024, with a ROX
panel on the left head, bottom edge of the screen.  I use the following
keybinding to launch terminal windows:

  <keybind key="W-T">
  </keybind>

I have the following placement configuration:

  <placement>
    <policy>Smart</policy>
    <center>no</center>
  </placement>

If I start with an empty desktop, and press W-T eight times in
succession, with versions prior to 3.4.3 I get this:

/----\/----\/----\/----\
| 1  || 2  || 5  || 6  |
|    ||    ||    ||    |
\----/\----/\----/\----/
/----\/----\/----\/----\
| 3  || 4  || 7  || 8  |
|    ||    ||    ||    |
\----/\----/\----/\----/
...panel....

(Head boundary is in the middle, so 1st four windows are on left head,
2nd four are on right head)

With 3.4.3 I get this:

/----\/----\/----\/----\
| 1  || 4  || 5  || 8  |
|    ||    ||    ||    |
\----/\----/\----/\----/
/----\/----\/----\/----\
| 2  || 3  || 6  || 7  |
|    ||    ||    ||    |
\----/\----/\----/\----/
...panel....

The numbers in the windows refer to the order in which they are placed,
and in which they appear in the window switching dialog/A-Tab.

Is this a deliberate change?  Any way to get the old behaviour back?

> The MoveFromEdge actions have been rolled into the MoveToEdge actions,
> so you don't need two sets of bindings to move a window to any edge.

My keybindings for these now (in 3.4.3) refuse to move a window across a
Xinerama edge.

> You can now drag a window between desktops. When you are moving a
> window and drag it to the edge of the screen, Openbox will flip to the
> next desktop for you.

Is there any way to turn this off?

Other than these small gripes, thanks for the new release!

Cheers,

-mato