Curious about font rendering

Peter N. Spotts pspotts at alum.mit.edu
Sun Sep 3 11:27:34 EDT 2006

Mornin' folks (at least here on the US East Coast...),

I'm enjoying OB3.0 on my laptop (SuSE 10.1). But I've noticed a odd
difference in the way fonts get rendered in OB versus a window manager
such as Xfce, which I've played with a bit. For example, when running
Sylpheed-Claws, and new mail arrives, the inbox should go bold, as well
as pick up a color (in this case, blue). On OB3, bold shows up as
barely larger and blacker (although the blue shows up). On Xfce, bold
(in the same font and size) shows up substantially thicker. I've also
noticed that Xfce often makes 11 pt type (which shows up normally on
OB3) look a couple of points larger. To knock them down to the right
apparent size, I have to drop the point size from 11 to 9 -- which, of
course, makes the type look unreadable back on OB3, because it appears
to be getting the point size correct. The font, btw, is MUTT ClearlyU
PUA. I haven't tried other fonts to see if that makes any difference
ion the bold rendering...Should one expect to see fonts treated
slightly differently by different window managers? Just curious...

Best,

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter