[openbox] 3.3 rc2---major bug! (not really)

Mikael Magnusson mangosoft at comhem.se
Sun Oct 1 16:42:47 EDT 2006

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Clay Barnes wrote:

>>  On 9/29/06, Mikael Magnusson <mangosoft at comhem.se> wrote:
>> >  In my original reply i said this:
>> >
>> >  Please check that the output of "xmodmap" and what you get when you
>> >  press
>> >  the win key in xev
>> >  agree.
>> >
>> >  For example on my computer:
>> >  % xmodmap
>> >  ..
>> >  mod4        Meta_L (0x73)
>> >
>> >  I'm not sure how it could be said any clearer. Of course, if you stopped
>> >  top posting I wouldn't have to throw away the whole thread every time.
>> >

>>  1)  Sorry about the top-posting.  I just got seriouslt flamed for
>>  *not* top posting somewhere else, and I let that "correction" slop
>>  into this list.  (for ease of reference I've reconstructed the
>>  exchange in this mail)
>>
>>  2)  My error in misreading "Please check that the output of "xmodmap"
>>  and what you get when you press the win key in xev agree." was to miss
>>  two words "Please check ___ the output of "xmodmap" and what you get
>>  when you press the win key in xev ____."  I'm a phrase reader, so when
>>  I have sub-consious expectations about what I'm about to read, I
>>  sometimes miss words that make it differ from that.
>>
>>  3)  I'll get the relevant (correct) information when I get home.  I'd
>>  test through ssh, but I don't have any systems capable of X tunneling
>>  at my girlfriend's house.
>>
>>  4)  I'd appreciate a friendly reminder of "no top posts!" or whatever
>>  is relevant next time I make a list faux pau.  I am perfectly capable
>>  of altering my behaviour before it becomes an accute issue.  (and if
>>  you look at my past postings, they are nearly always done correctly)

I didn't mean to sound offensive, sorry if I did.

> Here is the output of xmodmap -pm
> 0 ~ $ xmodmap -pm
> xmodmap:  up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
> mod4        Super_L (0x7f),  Hyper_L (0x80)

> Excerpt from the output of xmodmap -pk
> 0 ~ $ xmodmap -pk
> ..
>    114    	115    	0xffeb (Super_L)	116    	0xffec (Super_R)
>    0xff20 (Multi_key)	117    	0xff67 (Menu)
> ..

xev
>    state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L), same_screen YES,
>    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>    XFilterEvent returns: False
>

> As you can see, the keycodes/keysyms match between xmodmap and xev.
> However, for some reason my state field isn't changing.  Do you have
> any idea what's up?

xmodmap -pk and xev match up, sure. But it was plain xmodmap listing the
modifiers that's interesting. It says 0x7f which is in fact not 115, more
like 127. The commands
xmodmap -e "clear mod4"
xmodmap -e "add mod4 = Super_L"
should set your X server up correctly again, not sure what you're doing to
mess it up though. If you have a .Xmodmap file that messes with the
keysyms for modkeys you have to do the clear+add thing for each one too.

--
Mikael Magnusson