[openbox] idesk

Santiago M. Mola cooldwind at gmail.com
Sat May 27 16:00:31 EDT 2006

On 5/27/06, Matthew Graybosch <mgraybosch at starbreaker.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2006 18:08:37 +0200
> Manuel Colmenero <m.kolme at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, if you want a really easy-to-use desktop, why don't you try
> > Nautilus or Rox?
>
> As I understand it, Nautilus draws the desktop in such a way that you
> can't get to the Openbox menu by clicking on the desktop. This may or
> may not matter to Mike Obrien, of course, since he wants icons on his
> desktop. If he still wants to get to his menu, he might be better off
> with Rox. I had thought that iDesk was a dead project, to be honest.

I agree. Furthermore, Nautilus is quite resources-hungry so it's not a
good solution (at least if you only want it because of icons).

When I use Openbox, I don't use icons and I don't open obmenu with
mouse (I always opened it with my lovely key-bindings). I don't see
the point on having icons on the desktop, not on a light desktop. If
you want to fast access to some apps you can always use a panel with
launchers (pypanel, gnome-panel, perl-panel, engage...) or configure
some key-bindings.

--
Santiago M. Mola
Jabber ID: coldwind at jabberes.org