[openbox] OB3 important missing human-interface feature!

Clay Barnes clay.barnes at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 18:27:21 EDT 2006

In relation to this thread, I see that OB3 supports Emacs-style
bindings.  I wonder how hard it would be to add a related bit of code
and some XML syntax.

My idea is a "locked into binding" mode.  There would be the possibility
of having a keybinding that starts like an Emacs binding (say Mod4+Scrol
Lock), but instead of terminating when the competing key combination is
pressed or with a timout, it would continue to parse keybindings until
ended by re-pressing the initiating combination.

I was also wondering if anyone on here happens to know of a
Linux/X11-compadable key-based input device similar to the number-pad,
but that does *not* map to any standard keycodes (say, using keycodes
just below 255).

I'm working on a UI-related project, and while OB3 is by far the best WM
to use for such experiments, I can't test my most recent theoretical
work without either the extra keys or the locking keybindings.  I guess
I could build some hardware, but that's quite the pain in the ass. :-P

--Clay