Problems on Debian

Michael M. openbox at writemoore.net
Sun Feb 12 10:56:14 EST 2006

I would like to try Openbox, but I can't get v3.2 working on Debian
Sarge.  I installed the openbox and openbox-themes packages using
aptitude.  When I tried to start it (from .xinitrc, using "startx"), I
got a blank desktop, no default theme loaded, and an empty menu.  I
tried copying over rc.xml and menu.xml to ~/.config/openbox, which
didn't make any difference.  Then I tried editing the files as best I
could, eventually removing any reference to menus from
~/.config/openbox/rc.xml (which the doc says will make Openbox look for
menu.xml), and any reference to the debian-menu.xml from
~/.config/openbox/menu.xml.  None of that helped.  The Debian menu
existed where rc.xml specified, but Openbox wasn't loading it.  It
didn't seem like it was even looking in ~/.config/openbox.

So I guess something went wrong with the install or post-install, but I
haven't a clue what or how to fix it.  I have since purged Openbox and
would like to try again, but there's not much point if I can't figure
out what's going wrong.  Can anyone give me some help?

BTW, I have since installed Gnome and GDM ... don't know if that will
help or not.  I'm not particularly looking to use Openbox as a
substitute for Metacity, (I think) I'd rather use Openbox on it's own.

--
Michael