After all this time it turns out to be an openbox bug

Lucas Hazel lucas at digitillogic.net
Thu Dec 8 21:24:41 EST 2005

I am experience 2 bugs in openbox.

The first bug is related to it's interaction with pagers. When using
openbox with a pager widows are simply displayed as small bars at
either the top or bottom of the visual screen. I'm not quite sure why
this behaviour is occuring, but it has been occuring since libwnck 2.10.

Secondly there appears to be a problem with the layering of new
windows. I use ROX-Filer panels and whenever I open a directory from
the panel without first raising the layer of the ROX panel (which is
always on bottom by default) the new window will then be created with
always on bottom set.

I first assumed these were bugs in libwnck and rox, however today I
thought I'd try some alternative window managers and discovored that
these behaviours only present themselves in openbox. Sure I could
switch WM's but I have been a devoted openbox user for several years.

Blackbox is supposed to be fast, but compared to openbox it's a snail,
and I find openbox's keybinding mechanism far superior to anything I've
used.

It's been a while since I've looked at the openbox code, but I'll try
to get a patch together. Just raising the issue on the mailing list
first in the intrest of open discussion as I'd really hate to be forced
to change WM's.

--
Lucas Hazel <lucas at digitillogic.net>

Digit Illogic Enterises
[http://digitillogic.net/www]
[phone: +61401313870]
[ABN: 52841332786]

AMAC Fast Track Computers
Technician
209 Beardy Street, Armidale NSW
[phone: +61267711287]

School of Maths and Computer Science
University of New England
Armidale, Australia
[http://cs.une.edu.au]

"Clothes make the man. Naked men are rarely taken
seriously, or given employment." (Mark Twain)