[openbox] Openbox focus on dualhead system

Kacper Wysocki kacperw at online.no
Sun Sep 26 00:37:41 EDT 2004

On 09/25/04 21:57:21, David Anderson wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I'll try to see if I can't trick the two
> openboxes into cooperating through the use of Synergy (originally
> designed to join screens on different machines, but perhaps it could
> be used locally)

That sounds like a good idea, but offhand I can't see any way of
configuring synergy to use multiple screens, or even displays, from the
same host. X would also have to give up mouse/keyboard management of
the second screen to synergy.

>> I must add that Xinerama support in openbox is near excellent, and
>> even  though I used to prefer non-Xinerama, I have now grown
>> accustomed to  it. Of course, if you rely on DRI then this is not an
>> option (unless  newer versions of x.org or xfree4.4 support dri
>> +xinerama).
>
> My problem is a little more subtle.
> I am running one head on a Geforce 4 MX440 card, and the other on an
> ATI RageII+DVD PCI. The latter won't go above 1024x768x16, so if I
> use xinerama I must set the Geforce head to 16bpp as well. That
> shouldn't be a problem, except that it seems that in 16bpp the opengl
> drivers can't use a stencil buffer, which essentially prevents using
> many higher end 3D applications.
[snip]

Nope, xinerama doesn't support dri, so there's no hardware rendering no
matter what depth your running at. I've had a hard time finding out the
reason, but you'll find that even were your second card to support
higher color depths, you would still have no 3d in Xinerama. I have
this problem with my dual-headed radeon card as well.

> As I use 3D stuff fairly often, I decided to have the best of both
> worlds: two screens, but managed separately so that I can set the
> Geforced screen to 24bpp depth and have full accelerated GLX.
> Hopefully I'll be able to get hold of a video board that manages
> dualscreen natively (a slightly higher end geforce maybe), which'd
> make the problem go away.

Dual-headed nvidia cards can take advantage of the proprietary driver's
pseud-xinerama mode, which provides both hardware opengl and a desktop
spanning two screens. Indeed, that would be the solution.

>> You could also disable focus-follows-mouse, but for me that was
>> never  an option. I just use a clone mode layout when I need DRI.
>
> Not an option for me. I'm far to used to it.

Let us know if you figure this one out, then.

Cheers,
	Kacper