[openbox] Images in the menu

Tero Grundström tero at vuosaari.hai.fi
Sun Oct 31 12:07:15 EST 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Mikael Magnusson wrote:

> There is a bit of a difference between a bug report and a feature though.
> At first all i did in #openbox was report bugs, which is an appreciated
> thing, but i also made a few feature requests every now and then, to which
> they would mostly say 'patch pls'. Eventually i opened up the source and
> looked at it.

There is nothing wrong in asking a patch from a person who could actually
do it. But totally ignoring requests from other people is just wrong,
especially if it's done with an attitude like: No patch? Well shut the
f*** up then!

> > You see we are *all* important for Linux and other software as a whole.
>
> But developers are more important ;)

This is kinda like a popstar claiming that he/she doesn't care or need
fans ;) (an ex-popstar in this case ;)

IMO, once a software project has a fancy web site, mailing list and the
program is given (or "sold") for all to use the developer is kinda like
that popstar who should care about his fans (to a point of course).

But if you make your music (software) in the cellar for your own enjoyment
only, it's ok...

> > BTW, <if I would send Magnusson a patch for a improvement I like, I'm
> > pretty sure he would not add it to openbox mainline. Openbox seems to be
> > considered "perfect", hence no new releases in a long time. So what would
> > be the point of sending patches?
>
> That's some pretty funky logic, if i tell you to send patches, it's hardly
> because i won't accept them. The reason there isn't a release is there
> aren't really that many changes in cvs right now from 3.2, which would
> change if more people sent patches and/or i had a bit more free time.

Could the reason for the lack of pathes be that Openbox is not as popular
as Fluxbox for example. One would think that if ob were more popular
there would also be more people who would write patches (there are
currently 21 open (61 total) patches for fluxbox at SourceForge).

Now, how could we make Openbox more popular?

--
T.G.