[openbox] Images in the menu

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Thu Oct 28 09:22:04 EDT 2004

Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> Looking at the setup, what we know as the 'Desktops' menu appears to
>> be the client-list-menu (I'm sure you all knew this, but hey).
>>
>> The configuration for this internal menu isn't set in the menu.xml,
>> rc.xml or menu.xsd, but it must be set somewhere, and I would imagine
>> that looking at it would be the first thing to do to see if there is
>> some kind of syntax that could be added to the user's menus to display
>> icons (although I am fairly certain that the menu is getting its
>> information from some other task management process, there must be
>> some syntax that covers extracting the associated icon and displaying
>> it in the right location on the menu).
>>
>> Am I way off the mark, or does this pop a lightbulb over someone's
>> head ;-) ?
>>
>> Holly
>

> Openbox indeed supports showing icons in the menus. What it doesn't have
> any code for at all is loading icons from files. All the icons you see
> are grabbed directly from the clients via the X server or compiled into
> Openbox.
>
> --
> Mikael Magnusson

OK, I understand what you're saying in general, but the implications go
right past me.

So what I get from it is that, in order to display icons in the main
menu, one would have to

1) write a patch to add some loading code so the icon could be loaded
from the file (and then one could specify the icon in menu.xml,
hopefully); or

2) compile lots and lots of icons into openbox.

Are either of these remotely feasible options? It would be nice to have
icons on the whole menu (or none, for that matter). Having them only on
one section is a bit bizarre.

Holly