[openbox] LIGHT arabic patch

Mikael Magnusson mangosoft at comhem.se
Sat Oct 23 14:04:56 EDT 2004

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Mohammed Sameer wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 04:12:17AM +0200, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
>> As you may or may not know, I didn't write most of openbox, but i picked
>> up maintainership after ben decided to do "other things", so I'm not very
>> acquainted with the font functions myself, I've mostly looked at the logic
>> parts so far. I'll try to help if I can. If you use IRC, it's #openbox on
>> irc.oftc.net for faster replies most of the time.
>
> Sorry for being late.
>
> Well, I didn't even know that you are the current maintainer, But now I do! :-)
>
> Here's an alpha patch, The only problem is that I didn't know how to
> convert xftfont to pangofont, I'm still trying to find a way. That's why
> the strings are being drawn but incomplete!
>
> I think I'll have to change the _RrFont struct and/or all/most of the
> font handling API, But as I'm sure you'll hate me if I do. I've tested
> the patch for a few minutes and it was fine.
>
> I'll continue working on it, But I'm just busy with my papers these days.

Okay, tried it out a bit. It draws all strings completely as far as I can
see, but it messes up shadows a bit (not important though). It seems to
draw at least japanese fonts right mixed with normal text too, but it
currently ignores the font set in the theme? I guess we want to somehow
give a list of fonts to try at some point since one font only has one
language usually, but that comes later :).

Keep up the good work, I'm very grateful, and fiddle with the structs all
you want, I have no idea how they work anyway ;). As long as it's
backwards config compatible I think we shouldn't have any problems since
nothing outside Openbox uses that...

--
Mikael Magnusson