[openbox] trouble with key bindings

Louis-David Mitterrand vindex at apartia.org
Tue Oct 5 11:09:22 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 04:43:05PM +0200, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> >
> >	<keybind key="Pause">
> >		  <action name="Execute"><execute>su -c
> >		  "/etc/init.d/laptop-mode start"</execute></action>
> >	  </keybind>
> >	  <keybind key="Break">
> >		  <action name="Execute"><execute>su -c
> >		  "/etc/init.d/laptop-mode stop"</execute></action>
> >
> >But the key presses are not recognized.
> >
> >Did I miss something?
>
> The pause bind should work, assuming your command is correct. Have you
> tried 1) another command or 2) another key?
> Regarding your break bind, you need to put the modifier and the key you
> press if you want a shifted or control-ed key, ie C-Pause or possibly
> C-Break.

My bad. I shoulda checked first:

- with another command,

- output from .xessions-errors

You are correct that the Pause key works and the Break requires a C-
modifier.

Also running su from openbox won't work as it complains in
.xession-errors:

	su: must be run from a terminal

So I now use sudo as a poster kindly suggested and now all is fine and
dandy:

<keybind key="Pause">
  </keybind>
  <keybind key="C-Break">
  </keybind>

Thanks to all for your (incredibly fast) help, have a nice day!

--
Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for the change
to take effect. Reboot now?