[openbox] Experiencing "hangs"... Is this openbox?

Dale K Dicks dale_d at telusplanet.net
Tue Mar 23 13:24:09 EST 2004

I had similar lockups when I went to 2.6 as well.  (I use Gentoo)

I narrowed it down to Frambuffer Consoles as well as having devfsd.

It would lock up consistently with Framebuffer consoles if I pressed
ctrl-alt-f1 and started an emerge there and then went back to X.  It
also seemed to be more prone to locking up the more times I switched
back and forth fro X to a TTY - generally 3 times was max with
Framebuffer, and about 5-6 times was max with regular TTY before it
locked up.

I disabled devfs and the problem is gone.  I even re-enabled
Framebuffer.

Anyway - not sure if this relates to what you are describing or not but
I thought I would mention it.  There is a bug logged at bugs.gentoo.org
about it - other people who no not use Openbox.

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 11:16, brian . wrote:

> Mark Gjøl wrote:
>
> >Hi, I'm having some weird episodes where X hangs - let me begin with a
> >little (relevant) description of my system:
> >
> >I use the Debian openbox 3.1 package and am running on two monitors with
> >Xinerama enabled. One monitor uses an NVIDIA-based gfx-card (the version
> >is irrelevant, the problem persisted even though I upgraded the card),
> >and the other a Matrox Millenium II.
> >
> >Anyway, when the system hangs I loose all control, but am still able to
> >move the mouse. The first sign that this isn't a crash is that I am able
> >to move the curser between screens (when X crashes the curser is
> >restricted to whichever monitor it crashed on). Another sign is that I
> >still recieve input from the programs running (eg. IRC). I can type all
> >I want, but nothing happens... Until a seemingly random period of time
> >has elapsed, after which everything I've tried to do is actually being
> >done. Sometimes I recieve focus again if I kill the active program from
> >a remote machine.
> >
> >I have no idea whether this is an Openbox problem, an XFree problem or
> >a driver problem, but I know it's bugging the crap out of me.
> >

> I've been having this too for months now. Usually when I'm Alt-tabbing
> but not always. Sometimes when I hit some combo in emacs. And yesterday
> for the first time I couldn't get alt-ctl-f1 to work. Had to ssh in.
> Openbox 3.1, 2.6.2 kernel, but happened with 2.4.20 too. No xmms running.
>
> brian

DKD
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
dale_D at telusplanet dot net