[openbox] Can menu.xml use a LANG variable?

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Fri Jun 25 09:28:18 EDT 2004

Last Friday 25 June 2004 11:24, Holly Bostick was like:
> So sometimes I want to boot into my desktop in Dutch so I can learn what
> all the various commands are in that language and in general improve my
> Dutch.
>
> I know that if I choose Dutch in GDM when logging in, all my apps
> (except Firefox and Thunderbird, which have to be installed in Dutch to
> be used in Dutch) will display Dutch menus and all, but I was wondering
> if I can have my Root menu change as well.
>
> Basically, I'm wondering if a line like this:
>
> <menu id="games-menu" label="Games">
>
> can be changed to something like:
>
> <menu id="games-menu" label[en]="Games" label[nl]="Spelletjes">
>
> and if that is the correct way to do it, if it is actually possible to do.

This may be distro-specific, I'm not sure.

On Debian the files in /etc/menu-methods/ are of interest here. It _is_
possible to make a translate_menus file[*], which is a gross hack and not
recommended. You're supposed to use the i18n method, which involves .po
files. That's about as much as I understand. Why choosing 'Dutch' doesn't
change the entries in your root menu already, is beyond me.

cheers

tim hall
[*] It's good for organising your submenus, however ;-)