[openbox] Task-Switching Behaving Strangely

Miguel Bazdresch ob-01 at thewizardstower.org
Mon Jun 21 11:17:41 EDT 2004

* Adam Kessel <adam at rosi-kessel.org> [2004-06-21 16:57]:
> In the last couple of days, task-switching (i.e., the action typically
> assigned to ALT-TAB) has changed its behavior, and I can't pinpoint the
> cause.  I suspect a recent xserver-xfree86 upgrade, since that's the
> main thing to change in the last five days, but I'm wondering whether
> this is an X issue or an openbox issue--or both.
>
> If I hit alt-tab really quickly and release, I switch between asks as
> expected.  If I linger even for a moment, though, before releasing ALT,
> the outline of the window I am trying to switch to appears, but not the
> contents, and the graphic in the middle of the screen telling me the
> name of the window I am switching to just sticks there.  I have to hit
> Enter at that point to actually switch to the window and make the
> outline fill in.

That happened to me once. That was when I tried a complete upgrade of
glib, gtk (plus atk, pango, etc), fontconfig, freetype...

Since I was having lots of general trouble (gkrellm wouldn't get into
the dock, etc, etc...) I reverted to gtk 2.2.x plus associated
libraries, and all problems went away.

That was when gtk 2.4 had just been released, and lots of apps weren't
ready for it. The situation should be different now. Sorry but I can't
say exactly what caused the problem: I didn't have much time and just
went back to my previous libraries.

BTW, I've used openbox 3.2 with both Xfree86 4.4 and X.org 6.7.0
withouth problems, so that's not likely to be your problem.

Two ideas: recompiling openbox against your new xserver libs wouldn't
hurt (just in case you forgot to do that). And, try reverting to
freetype 2.1.5 if you upgraded that.

HTH,

--
Miguel Bazdresch