[openbox] How to automatically position a window?

Mikael Magnusson mangosoft at comhem.se
Sat Jun 12 09:03:49 EDT 2004

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, tim hall wrote:

> Last Saturday 12 June 2004 04:00, Marc Wilson was like:
>>> 2. run script after startup
>>
>> What window manager does this, and what would be the point?  What can you
>> accomplish with the window manager launching some script that you can't
>> accomplish via your xinitrc/xsession file?
>
> There are currently two things that I can't do with my .xinitrc - one is gamma
> correction (I have a dodgy monitor, that needs compensating) and the other is
> using a custom cursor. These things are entirely to do with what I'm already
> calling from .xinitrc and my slightly odd set-up and lack of bash-scripting
> experience. Currently I trigger these eye-candy hacks with a keybinding.

Um, why do you think it wouldn't work from xinitrc? I highly doubt it
matters if the script running xgamma is a childprocess of openbox.

> It would be nice if the script could be run automatically after start-up.

openbox & poop=$!
various programs start &
wait $poop

is one way to do it.

> As the ethos of openbox is clearly not to bloat it with extraneous functions,
> it might be worth making a clear statement about this in the FAQ/docs with
> some suggestions of the kind of tools / helper applications that people tend
> to use. The screenshots show all sorts of things like panel/taskbar and even
> desktop icons (!!!). New users who are used to monolithic systems like KDE
> _are_ going to keep asking how to do this stuff.

Most of those screenshots are running gnome or kde with ob as the
windowmanager.

> As openbox becomes more popular, which surely it must, an openbox-users list
> could be a more appropriate place for this kind of discussion. I could
> prattle on for hours on this topic, but I don't want to be spamming the
> developers with it.

Talk here as much as you want, I don't need a mailing list to talk to
myself.

--
Mikael Magnusson