[openbox] Skipping Windows in ALT-TAB Task List?

nate cockram ncockram87742 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 11 19:52:27 EDT 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:03:31 -0400
Adam Kessel <adam at rosi-kessel.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 16:48, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> > > It's not that they don't work in Debian, they're just not packaged for
> > > Debian.  They work fine with the standard method of downloading the
> > > tarball, unpack, configure, make, make install (into /usr/local), but
> > > then you don't get automatic upgrades and the files aren't being
> > > 'tracked' by the Debian packaging system.
> > Oh, poor little Adam has to download tarballs all on his own.
>
> I don't mind downloading and building tarballs, but when you've got 3000
> packages installed on your machine it's nice to have a system that
> automatically upgrades them when new versions are released, rather than
> having to check all 3000 of them every week or so.
>
> Or do you think we should all roll our own distributions?
>
> Also, thousands of Debian users will never even know wmctrl exists
> unless it's in the distribution.
> --
> Adam Kessel
> http://adam.rosi-kessel.org

I've always wondered about the efficacy of constantly upgrading your system.  For developers, it's a bit easier to understand why you'd want the latest and greatest of everything out there... presumably you'd need it to verify compatibility.  But I tend to believe there are more users who are just 'using' than there are developing, and I'm lost when it comes to considering some 'constantly changing need' driving everyone to update their systems on a weekly, daily, or hourly basis.

I could just be uber-simple, but I'd be hard pressed to think of 3, let alone 3000, programs that I've even bothered to update in the past month.  I have a system that suits my needs, and I understand everyone has different needs and we should all be 'sensitive' to the needs of others these days, but 3000 updates a week?