[openbox] Lanching applications with openbox

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Thu Jul 8 11:33:50 EDT 2004

Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, tim hall wrote:
>

>>Last Thursday 08 July 2004 00:25, Christopher Knox was like:
>>

>>>I was wondering if it is possible to start applications automatically when
>>>openbox starts - for example gkrellm. I looked at the rc.xml and rx.xsd
>>>file and it was not obvious (to me) how to do it.
>>>

>>That's because openbox doesn't do it.
>>add them to your ~/.xinitrc before it calls openbox e.g.
>>
>>exec xscreensaver &
>>exec gkrellm &
>>exec fbpanel &
>>exec openbox
>>
>>if you use a graphic login you may need to put this in ~/.xsession
>>

>I did it by creating a nice system-wide startopenbox script, and got the
>.desktop file used by *DM to run that. It just runs things that everyone
>would want, mind, like epist

Yes, that's how I do it, too-- edited a *.desktop script from
/etc/X11/dm/Sessions to point to openboxstart.sh (which I created) and
saved it as openbox.desktop, and it works fine in GDM.

I can't use ~/.xsession to start Openbox as that is already used by a
ROX install I haven't yet blown off my disk, and ~/.xinitrc is just a
symlink to ~/.xsession.

But the openboxstart.sh is just the same as what everyone has said:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &
devilspie &
wmsetbg ~/fluxbox/backgrounds/flower.png &
LinNeighborhood -m &
DISPLAY=:0.0 gnome-panel --name=ob_panel --name=ob_launcher &
(sleep 20 && thunderbird-bin) &
(sleep 30 && firefox) &
(sleep 40 && liferea) &
(sleep 45 && gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=boinc) &
exec openbox

with a bunch of stuff also present but commented out as I experiment
with different things at startup (but this is the config that I think
I'll be sticking with).

>And I suspect you don't want all those execs - only the last one. Or
>you'll get xscreensaver running, and nothing else.
>
>Sam

Oh, good, I was worried there for a second; thought I had a freaky
"working-but-not-actually-correct" config ;-) .

Holly