Sample usage of wmctrl and piped menus with openbox

Pierre Lambion pierre.lambion at laposte.net
Fri Jan 2 08:36:45 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

I recently installed openbox and spent some time customizing it.

This is a neat and clean window manager but I felt the need to tweak the
interface a bit. Basically, I wanted:
i/ the root menu to be accessible even when a window is maximized (no
desktop shown)
ii/ a menu with the current workspace applications directly shown (not a
menu with the workspace names and then submenus with the applications)

wmctrl and some python scripting were necessary. Here is the script for
anyone interested. I just wrote it a few minutes ago, so testing is
almost inexistent (feedback and improvements suggestions are welcome)!

The script generates a pipe menu that I bound to middle mouse click on a
titlebar. It is also in a submenu of the root-menu that is boud to right
click on a titlebar.

Cheers,
P.