[openbox] That lower-but-don't-focus-window-underneath little thingy

yourself sl4rtyb4rtf4st_2 at yahoo.gr
Wed Dec 15 07:48:24 EST 2004

Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, John Russell wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:05:45 +0200, yourself
>> <sl4rtyb4rtf4st_2 at yahoo.gr> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> The reason I'm writing this is because of that
>>> lower-but-don't-focus-window-underneath "feature", that is really
>>> getting on my nerves.
>>

>> If you use focus follows mouse, the window that is on top (and under
>> the mouse) after you middle click on a title bar to lower a window
>> will be focused.  I just switched to focus follows mouse a few days
>> ago and its really growing on me.
>

> What he means is that if the mouse cursor happens to be both over window
> B and window A with window A in focus and you lower A with keyboard
> bindings, the focus doesn't switch to B. ie
>
> ------         ------
> |   B|         |   B|
> |  ------      |    |---
> |  |   A|      |    | A|
> |  |X   |  =>  |   X|  |
> ---|    |      ------  |
>    ------         ------
> A has focus,   A still has focus
>
> This is how it should be since the location of the mouse cursor is at a
> random position when you use the keyboard to navigate.

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. The thing is that this "feature" is
really annoying, especially if you use the keyboard to navigate between
a small number of overlapping windows, when you have a shortcut (i have
alt+x) to say "ok i don't want you anymore, go sit in the corner". I
really don't care which of the other windows is underneath, if it's not
the one I want, i'll send it back with another tap of x. Of course, I
can't do that on openbox3 since the window directly below doesn't get
keyboard focus.

Anyway, I really can't understand why it isn't possible to just have an
option to disable this feature! Name it option BreakOurGuidelines but,
please, why can't it be present?

--
yourself