Problem with gnome-panel and openbox

Brad Smith brad_stephenssmith at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 00:52:52 EDT 2004

Hi,

I used to run openbox under rh9 and had a really nice setup. My xinitrc started openbox,
gnome-panel, a chbg and that's about it. It was very nice and very fast. Since I upgraded to
Fedora and the newer version of Gnome that came with it, I've been having some strange problems,
though.

If I have openbox and gnome-panel in my xinitrc, the windowlist applet dies as soon as the panel
loads with:

The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_WindowListApplet"
Details: Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'

However, if I take gnome-panel out of my xinitrc and then start it manually after the fact,
everything works fine. Likewise if I start a full gnome-session and run openbox --replcae
everything works fine.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I'm running 3.2, but have had the same problem
with 3.0 and 2.3.

--Brad