[openbox] Yet another question...

Chris Anderson chris at simoniac.com
Fri Apr 16 14:28:30 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 13:16, Peter Chiocchetti wrote:

> > > I use xchat with transparency with no problems.
>
> now there are distributions switching to x.org xfree, will there soon be
> support for "real" transparency, not just copying the wallpaper? and will
> openbox handle that one?
>
> hu

Actually, if I recall correctly, X.org does NOT support "real"
transparency and/or translucency [0]. X.Org is a fork of the X 4.4
source right before the oft-discussed license change. "Xserver" is the
project implementing xcompmgr, kdrive and translucency and doesn't have
any driver acceleration (headed by keithp)[1]. The confusion mostly
stems from the fact that both projects are hosted on freedesktop.org. So
basically, when your distribution switches to "X.Org" you most likely
won't notice any big changes, just those from X 4.3 -> X 4.4. Of course
if I'm wrong please correct me.

[0] http://freedesktop.org/Software/xorg
[1] http://freedesktop.org/Software/xserver
--