a happy new openbox user

Louis-David Mitterrand vindex at apartia.org
Mon Apr 5 03:16:27 EDT 2004

Hello,

After a long quest and trying out several window managers (since 94:
fvwm2, icewm, gnome, kde, xfce, etc.) I finally found openbox3 reading
about it in a slashdot.org comment (at last recouping all the wasted
time ;-).

It seems my quest has now ended as openbox3 fully corresponds to my
philosophy and needs: minimalist yet functional, beautiful and
efficient. Congratulations to the team for making such a tool. My
frustration of seeing wmbiff treated as an ordinary window has also
ended, while discovering a wonderful array of dockable applets.

Here a few questions I have gathered in a month or so of daily use:

- xmms cannot be parked under the dock: for instance if the dock is
  upper-left vertical, the one cannot align xmms right under it, along
  the left window edge,

- the dock stays visible when mplayer is full screen, even if "above or
  below other windows" is selected,

- is there a setting (I searched the docs) that would open windows along
  the upper right side of the screen?

Thanks,

--
I don't build computers, I'm a cooling engineer.
       -- Seymour Cray, founder of Cray Inc.