[openbox] ob3 code documentation

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Thu Nov 20 04:40:31 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:09:50AM +0000, corey at streamreel.net wrote:
> Are there any docs or state diagrams for the ob3 codebase lying around
> anywhere?
>
> The code itself doesn't make for such great help - at least as far as
> the focusing stuff goes - my brain is beginning to hurt. I've been at
> it for three nights now, trying to implement an experimental ffm model,
> but I've reached a point where I'm basically just trial-and-error hacking,
> guess work and voodoo. Of course I'm new to this, so I'm probably also just
> facing the learning curve.
>
> I figured I'd stop for a moment to ask whether anyone else happens to have
> any notes/diagrams/docs that might help me out a bit.
>
> That "focus_client" var is a mo-fo...

You need to understand how focus in X works first.

You set the focus, or the apps set the focus when you send a TAKE_FOCUS
protocol message, then the focus may actually change and Openbox will
receive all sorts of FocusIn and FocusOut events which it filters and/or
uses.

The focus_client is the client currently focused, which is tracked from the
FocusIn/Out events.

X Focus is the most evil thing in the world.

Ben