[openbox] Changing from C++ to C

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Mon May 19 20:09:57 EDT 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 04:25:58PM -0700, Pat Martin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a beginning programmer (most familiar with scripting) and I have been
> batting back and forth between learning C and C++. I was wondering why the
> switch was made from C++ to C for open box? Just to kind of give me some
> insight into both languages or just being nosey you pick :)

a) I hadn't done a C project before.
b) For fun.
c) Compile times, waiting 10 minutes to compile a single .cc is not that
   fun.
d) To work nicer with the Python/C stuff, which is a C api, but we aren't
   even using that now anyhow.
e) Every other WM was in C, all the libs I needed were in C, it made me
   wonder.
f) Portability. Proper C++ compilers are rare, and as we progressed, we
   ended up compiling on fewer and fewer platforms, even though we were
   standards compliant.

That might be all of it. :)

Ben
--