Menu stuff.

Aaron Gyes floam at ascorbic.com
Tue Jul 22 20:13:55 EDT 2003

Just a few ideas/things about the menu:

* Allow user to set an overlap option type thing in the themes,
  to specify how much a submenu will overlap its parent menu, here's
  a screenshot of the idea. http://floam.ascorbic.com/bettermenus.png

* When you move into a submenu, the item should stay highlighted, so
  you know where you are. Here's some sexy ascii art showing what I
  mean. (#### means highlighted.)

   _________
  |  MENU   | <-- old behavior (user goes to blah, then selects blah2.)
  | apps    |
  | game    |
  | media   |_________
  | blah    |  blah   |
  |_________| blah1   |
            |#blah2###|
            | blah3   |
            |_________|
   _________
  |  MENU   | <-- proposed (user goes to blah, then selects blah2.)
  | apps    |
  | game    |
  | media   |_________
  |#blah####|  blah   |
  |_________| blah1   |
            |#blah2###|
            | blah3   |
            |_________|

* I think I've heard somewhere, that when bullets are implemented,
  there will be blank space on the left, like in openbox2. Does this
  *really* have to happen? I know you want bullets and submenu arrows
  separated, but will a menu ever be arrowed, can't it always be on
  the right? (though I'm not sure if I understand any of this right)

* In openbox2, and all previous *box's, the menu file gets re read
  each time the menu is called, is this impossible now that the
  menu is in the main rc3 and too big to parse that often?

* Are extra-dynamic menus (menus get updated while they are shown,
  ie. maybe some guy made a clock menu plugin, you could see the
  seconds change) impossible?