[openbox] windows and groups of windows

David Barr dpb at clara.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 18:44:26 EDT 2003

Ben Jansens wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:04:37PM +0200, Peter Chiocchetti wrote:
>

>>hello,
>>
>>mozilla (firebird) behaves somewhat strange. the story starts
>>like this: when a download starts, m. brings up the save as
>>dialogue. then m. shows the progress dialogue. now to the
>>point:
>>
>>when there are two/more m. windows open, when the progess
>>dialogue closes, the oldest of those m. windows will be raised;
>>

>raised? or focused. it should be focused, if the progress dialog was
>focused when it closed. I have tried this here and it behaves as I have
>described for me.
>

>>which is not necessarily the one, where the download link was.
>>

>there is no way provided from mozilla to know which window the download
>dialog came from, when it is closed (if it was focused) then focus will be
>passed to the window in the same group as it which was last focused before
>it.
>

>>with openbox2 m. does not behave like this, so it interferes
>>

>No, openbox2 was relatively stupid and unhelpful with focus fallbacks.
>

>>with window grouping in openbox3. I hope to have summarised
>>

>Interferes?
>

>>PS: some time ago, I sent to the list an archive with a method
>>for documenting the config file. I improved on it a little, so
>>if there's interest, just mail.
>>

>Sure thing, I meant to reply regarding your last post as well. I'd love to
>see it.
>
>Ben

i don't know if this counts/clarifies the point, but i found that if
raise a child of mozilla using click to focus, like the downloads
window, then it raises (but doesn't focus) the main mozilla also, rox
and nautilus also have kooky focus issues, but i think they are well
known, it's probably all part of the same grouping thing so i shan't go on.

david