[openbox] _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP question

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Thu Jan 30 10:43:33 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 05:39:46PM +0200, Anatoly Asviyan wrote:

> 	hi all
> i'm writing NETWM compliant taskbar and currently making it work with openbox.
> almost all features worked out of the box (!!) besides switching the desktop.
> openbox seems to ignore _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP message sent by taskbar.
>

> Here is quote from http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/1.3/html/x110.html
>
> _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP
>
> _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP desktop, CARDINAL/32
>
> The index of the current desktop. This is always an integer between 0 and
> NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS - 1. This MUST be set and updated by the Window Manager.
> If a Pager wants to switch to another virtual desktop, it MUST send a
> _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP client message to the root window:
>
> _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP
>   message_type = _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP
>   format = 32
>   data.l[0] = new_index
>
> I've attached the code that does exactly that. It works OK with sawfish
> and does not work with openbox-2.1 and openbox-2.2
>
> P.S. if someone is intrested in trying a taskbar you can take it here:
> http://fbpanel.sf.net/fbpanel-0.10.tgz
> it requires GTK-1.2 and gdk_pixbuf

I believe your problem is here:

    s = XSendEvent (dpy, xroot, True, SubstructureNotifyMask, (XEvent*) &xev);

http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec/1.3/html/x110.html says:
Whenever this spec speaks about "sending a message to the root
window", it is understood that the client is supposed to create a
ClientMessage event with the specified contents and send it by using a
SendEvent request with the following arguments:

destination     root
propagate       False
event-mask      (SubstructureNotify|SubstructureRedirect)
event           the specified ClientMessage

I've seen other people do this too, I'm not sure where people get the
inclination to use the wrong mask.

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.

http://www.icculus.org/openbox/