[openbox] Menu troubles

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Wed Jan 29 21:00:22 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 04:51:24AM +0300, Ruslan N. Balkin wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I first taken a look at openbox about a month ago, subscribed to the
> list and just read the messages. I wasn't able to find similar troubles,
> and I see that what I get is different from what is documented in
> man openbox.
>
> Frst, I installed openbox (prefix=/usr, no more configure switches),
> created an entry for my startx script, ran startx openbox -- and all
> I've got was a blank screen. No menu by right-clicking (as in
> openbox(1)), only nice window decorations.
>
> Also, I don't see at the bottom blackbox-like window, where I was able
> to create new workspaces.
>
> If I do strace of openbox3, and then grep resulting file for a string
> 'menu', I'm getting nothing returned.
>
> Just wondering, what should I do for getting menu to work?
> It's late night now, Hoping to get answer when I'll wake up. :)

Well, you're running openbox3, our latest and greatest in-development,
menu-less window manager. :)

At the moment, if you want to play with openbox3, you'll have to run
stuff with keybindings (they're chainable) and mouse
bindings. Openbox3 does have a lot of features already, and some even
openbox2 didn't. But at the same time its missing some things (menus).

If you want to play with it, i recommend copying the defaults.py to
~/.openbox/user.py and edit it to your tastes.

Take a peek at:
http://icculus.org/openbox/phpwiki/index.php/PythonScripting

Ciao,
Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.

http://www.icculus.org/openbox/