A pager that fits in the dock!

Erik Bourget erik at midmaine.com
Mon Dec 22 01:27:19 EST 2003

Hey all;

I've added support for weird-shaped notification applets into docker.  This is
because I wanted to be able to run a pager for openbox3 in it;  the pager
naturally is not square as I have multiple workspaces.  This probably breaks
some kind of notification-area standard but is really nice for me.

It adds an -override switch to docker, which allows applets to set their
default size before they are swallowed into the dock.  Applets which do NOT
set their default size may or may not work (I've only tried this with my
pager.pl and the GAIM notification-area plugin).

pager.pl is very, very basic.  It could probably be improved a lot.  It
requires the perl Gtk2 package, Gtk2::TrayIcon,  and Gnome2::Wnck.

Sorry if this is off-topic but it scratches an openbox3 itch for me so I
figured somebody else might like it as well.  It's probably also off by a
pixel or two.

Screen shots:
  http://ebourget.net/~erik/docker-override.png
  This is a shot of the slit running (from the bottom up) docker with
  pager.pl, gaim, pager.pl, then the dockapp usual suspects.  Docker was run
  with docker -override -vertical.

  http://ebourget.net/~erik/whoa.png
  This is what happens when applets don't set their size before being docked.

Debian unstable package:
  http://ebourget.net/~erik/docker_1.5-override-1_i386.deb

- Erik Bourget