[ben at orodu.net: Re: flatborder hack]

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Fri Sep 6 01:02:05 EDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:35:36PM -0500, Youngjin Hahn wrote:
> Let's try this hack again.  I understand what effect MIKLOS (who I was
> told requested it) wants, and I think this is the proper way to do it.
>
> window.title.focus:
> 	raised gradient diagonal border
> window.title.focus.color:
> #ccc
> window.title.focus.colorTo:
> window.title.focus.textColor:
>
> Thus, openbox will draw the element as usual, except with a border
> around it.  The border width should be drawn with the standard
> borderWidth and colored using borderColor.
>
> This, I believe, is a better model than an all-encompassing
> "flatborder".  Currently it limits you to a solid color, and a border
> color that is inherited from its respective textColor.  Also, currently,
> its width is set arbitrarily to 1 pixel.  All these characteristics are
> inconsistent with the nature of blackbox's styling system.
>
> In the future, futher control of borders could be implemented through a
> .borderColor and .borderWidth value specific to each object.  As of now,
> I think that is unnecessary.
>
> Am I being clear?  Does this make sense?  Am I even sending this to the
> right address?  Regardless, please consider fixing this mess, into the
> useful feature that the request deserves.

So, I've reimplemented borders on elements in CVS. This is how it is
working now.

a) You can specify a border by adding "border" to the texture's
   definition.
b) The border can be specified on solid and gradient textures, but
   only on flat textures (i.e. not textures with a beveled border).
c) The border's color is specified by a .borderColor declaration.
d) The border's width is always 1. This is because the border is drawn
   inside of the element. I could make it resizable, but anything much
   larger than 1 will obscure the contents of the element.

e.g.

window.button.focus:             flat border vertical gradient
window.button.focus.color:       rgb:d6/5a/36
window.button.focus.colorTo:     rgb:f8/f6/e7
window.button.focus.borderColor: rgb:ff/ff/ff
window.button.focus.picColor:    rgb:e8/ff/f5

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.