[openbox] RedHat 8.0

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Tue Oct 29 15:11:09 EST 2002

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 03:11:26PM -0500, Scott Moynes wrote:
> * Alexander Volovics (awol at home.nl) wrote:
> > It would be very nice if the developers could look into adding
> > Xft2/fontconfig support for openbox.
> > Xft2/fontconfig makes the handling of freetype fonts so much more
> > elegant and easy under Linux. It is going to be the future anyway.
>
> Except it hasn't been part of a proper release from Xfree86. The API
> is still changing.

Xft2 is being separated out from XFree. Thus making it more portable
etc etc, and good.

> > You can download and install the necessary xft/fontconfig libs under your
> > own distribution by downloading fcpackage.2_0.tar.gz from fontconfig.org.
>
> And it doesn't compile on my system, and I'm not going to jump through
> hoops when so few systems have it installed. If someone comes up with
> a proper patch that works, I'll apply it, but I don't have the
> inclination to try to fix more Redhatisms.

It doesn't compile? Tried reading the instructions? :) Compiled fine
on my debian box.

Xft 2 does have a first release version out, with its 'finalized'
API.

Switching Openbox to it would definately be nice. Problem is that so
few systems have it yet. And I'm not fluent enough in autoconf to make
openbox use either at the moment.

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.