[openbox] Fireworks

Scott Moynes smoynes at nexus.carleton.ca
Wed Oct 16 11:39:14 EDT 2002

* Alexander Volovics (awol at home.nl) wrote:
> Indeed, as far as I know only RH-8.0 has switched to Xft2/fontconfig.
>
> But it is already in XFree86-CVS, Gnome2-CVS, Ximian-gnome-CVS.
> qt-3.1 and gtk+-2.0.5 support it and all recent Gtk apps (abiword,
> galeon, gftp, etc). So you are going to encounter it sooner than later.
> (if you use Debian it is definitely going to be later {^_-})
>
> It makes installing and configuring freetype fonts almost as easy as dropping
> them into, for example, ~/.fonts and you get "client side fonts" not the
> wooden X server variety. (no more messing around with something like xftconfig).

Well, first, since I run Debian stable, it would be a pain to develop. Also,
the number of people have been unable to configure "AA text" properly, and
blame openbox is astounding. To venture into having 3 separate font rendering
paths would cause me to pull my hair out trying to write documentation and
support users. I will look into what others have done, but until I can
easily install it, I don't think I'll actually be able to develop for xft2.
That said, if anyone has patches, they'll happily live in a CVS branch, and
I'd love to have them.

--
Scott Moynes http://www.icculus.org/openbox/
"Computer science is as much about computers