[openbox] compiling openbox-2.1.2 on redhat-8.0

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Mon Oct 7 14:48:43 EDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 01:04:20PM +0200, John Eckerdal wrote:

> > Yesterday i tried to compile openbox-2.1.2 on redhat-8.0
> > with xft support.
> > I get a working openbox except for xft support.
> > Configure claims it can't find XftFontOpenXlfd in -lXft.

Thanks for your answer.

> Since RH (I use it myself) places Xft in a place where Openbox does
> not look for it some tweaking has to be performed.

I had already understood that Openbox was looking in the wrong
places and had tried to correct this using environment variables
like LDFLAGS with configure. Couldn't get it working.
(I know nothing about programming).

> I did this by manually editing the two Makefiles after I ran configure.
> I know, this is a hack but I don't know how the autoconf/automake stuff
> works, someone with more knowledge with these two might have a better
> (and more premanent soultion).

> However:
> in src/Makefile
> find the LDFLAGS line and append `xft-config --libs` to it.
> find the CXXFLAGS line and append `xft-config --cflags` to it.
>
> in util/Make file
> find the xftlsfonts_LDFLADS and append `xft-config --libs` to it.
> find the CXXFLAGS and append `xft-config --cflags` to it.

However your suggestions also do not work. There seems to be
something missing. The result now is that make looks for
files (called something like 'dcflags') in the wrong places.

If you have overlooked something can you please let me know.

Alexander