[obdgpslogger] Question of Connecting obdsim with Android Phone via bluetooth

Gary Briggs chunky at icculus.org
Thu Jan 19 22:29:34 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 03:37:15AM +0800, Xiping wrote:
> I have compiled obdsim successfully and I have do the following steps:
>
> 1 type the commands:
>
>   sudo rfcomm bind 0 00:1F:E2:E6:B1:44 1
>   sudo sdptool add SP
>
>   where 00:1F:E2:E6:B1:44 is the bluetooth address of my laptop.
>

> 2 pair my phone with my laptop.
> 3 run obdsim -b
> 4 run the Torque Lite program in my phone, select my laptop as the paired
> device to connected to.

Can you un-pair your device, and then re-pair after running the bind and
sdptool commands? I believe there's some early-setup that occurs; your
phone may be assuming that your computer cannot act as an rfcomm device,
and thus there may be a bit of confusion there.

Additionally, please confirm you only have one bluetooth device [hcitool
can tell you this, I think]. obdsim just assumes that the first
bluetooth device it can find is the one it should use, which may not
always be correct [although most folks only have one bluetooth device,
of course]

> After the above steps, however, the obdsim printed the following
> information:

<snip>

Yes, these are typical symptoms of it not-working. obdsim chatters every
10 seconds or so, saying how many samples it's produced. Zero indicates
that nothing's talking to it in any way it can recognise.

It might be good to check that obdsim isn't seeing something that it
just doesn't recognise; can you run obdsim with the logfile option, and
see what's in it?

Thanks,
Gary