[obdgpslogger] Changing default columns doesn't change OBDSIM

Gary Briggs chunky at icculus.org
Wed Jul 14 15:08:03 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:15:35AM -0400, Robert Konigsberg wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I've changed the default column list in CMakeFile.txt. I've also added UI
> elements and API in the GUI and loggerhandler. Does the simulator only
> simulate certain columns? Sorry, this is the "I'm Lazy" question.

Actually, it's not an unreasonable question, and thinking about it, I
don't think my documentation really answers it. There's an intersection
of features:

1) The list of columns to log, in logger. It takes that list from any of
command-line, config files, or compile-time. It'll spam stdout with the
items as it reads them live; so if you requested a nonexistent column,
you'd probably never see it on stdout
[man 5 dot-obdgpslogger for the config file info]

2) The current obdgui is fairly hardcoded to contain just the items
it renders. There's some token attempt at generalisation, but I really
didn't want to spend much time on the GUI.
You can see what my getup looks like in my car in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WeWBXRXUog
I literally don't have a display attached. Blue sky stuff includes an
independant GUI that runs on android and gets data from logger on my
sheevaplug via bluetooth. VERY "blue sky".

3) Which columns the sim simulates, each generator decides for itself.
Cycle [the default] and Random both just generate numbers on the first
0x19 PIDs IIRC. The GUI data generator only generates for the usual five
suspects I always use. The Logger generator only generates data from the
columns it has in the logfile you're simulating. The Error generator
only returns values for PIDs 0x00 and 0x01
[man 1 obdsim actually gives a pretty good explanation of how generators
work, IIRC, although it doesn't explain the PIDs chosen]

So the final columns you see in your output are the intersection of all
those things. [eg, if the sim is only simulating 0x05, and logger is
only set to read 0x12, you're gonna have a really boring day].

Gary (-;