[jugglemaster] Help with errors during build

Helmut Grohne helmut at subdivi.de
Sat Feb 13 17:32:35 EST 2021

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of the jugglemaster Debian package. I'm not upstream.

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 04:56:44PM -0500, Barton Chittenden wrote:
> I'm getting a series of errors while trying to build jmdlx. Mr. Google
> suggests that this is a configuration or dependency issue with wx, but I
> haven't gotten to the bottom of it.
>
> $ make jmdlx 2>&1 | grep -A4 'error:'
> /usr/include/wx-3.0/wx/chartype.h:238:44: error: cannot convert 'const
> wchar_t*' to 'const char*' in initialization
>   238 |             #define wxT(x) wxCONCAT_HELPER(L, x)
>       |                                            ^
>       |                                            |
>       |                                            const wchar_t*
>
> That is wrapped in the following ifdef:
>
> 237         #ifndef wxCOMPILER_BROKEN_CONCAT_OPER
> 238             #define wxT(x) wxCONCAT_HELPER(L, x)
> 239         #else
>
> So I'm assuming that wxCOMPILER_BROKEN_CONCAT_OPER needs to be set
> somewhere.

The Debian package did experience issues around building jugglemaster
with wxwidgets >= 2.6 and we are at 3.0 now. To that end, we piled up a
number of patches to make it build. Some of them were forwarded and none
made it into a jugglemaster release. I suggest that you look into our
patch stack and see whether one of them fixes your issues.

https://sources.debian.org/src/jugglemaster/*/debian/patches/

Due to the pile of issues needing patches, jugglemaster is being removed
from Debian. An alternative is jugglinglab (https://jugglinglab.org/).

Hope this helps

Helmut