[jugglemaster] Dynamic scaling?

Per Johan Groland curwenx at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 22:58:24 EDT 2006

On 9/2/06, Chunky Kibbles <chunky at icculus.org> wrote:
> Heya, I saw something about dynamic scaling added to jmlib, and, uh,
> this sounds like exactly what I wanted for torque.
>
> Is there now an easy way to get an absolute position of balls on a known
> scale, rather than translating them to fit into a window?

Perhaps the name I chose was a bit misleading. The new "dynamic"
scaling works by keeping jmlibs internal window size at its native
480x400 at all times, scaling the pattern to match the actual window
size. This works much better than the old method.

If you have a fixed window you want the juggler to fit into, you
should be able to use this new scaling method. The juggler will still
go outside the window in some patterns with strange styles, but at
least it works better than before.

If you need float coordinates, you won't be able to use the new
scaling method. I was thinking of using the now defunct Juggler class
for adding float coordinates.  This class could support various ways
of scaling the coordinates to fit into different coordinate systems
(for instance, flipping the Y axis).

It should also be quite easy to scale the coordinates so that the ball
radius will always be the same, is it this kind of absolute
coordinates you were thinking of?

-Per