[Gtkradiant] Permission errors (2)

bebo_sudo bebo.sudo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 07:23:26 EDT 2013

Il 02/09/2013 21:31, ailmanki ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> Doesn't that piece of code simply create a file in the current working
> directory? I think that is as intended?
> If it is creating the file where q3map2 is located, well that would be
> bad.
>
> Cheers,
> ailmanki
>

> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Timothee Besset <ttimo at ttimo.net
> <mailto:ttimo at ttimo.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hey Bebo,
>
>     GtkRadiant should have write permissions to the directory it is
>     installed in. This is really the easiest way you are going to
>     package GtkRadiant for a particular distribution.
>
>     I believe that packaging systems should provide the operating
>     environment that a piece of software requires, and not the other
>     way around. I'm not sure these lines of code you are pointing to
>     are actually a problem for what you are trying to do, that looks
>     like BSP code to me. But I'm sure there are plenty of other places
>     that would need to be changed if we were going to try and make
>     radiant run from a readonly directory.
>
>     The thing is, none of the developers seem very interested in
>     helping with that effort. It would likely destabilize the
>     codebase, introduce new bugs for no obvious advantage. We've
>     already put significant effort in being able to provide a set of
>     binaries that run on a variety of Linux systems, and can be
>     distributed in a zip, without having to deal with distribution
>     specific package requirements.
>
>     I believe this strategy is a much better approach for GtkRadiant,
>     and while I wouldn't actively prevent someone from doing
>     distribution-specific packaging if they want to spend their energy
>     doing so, it seems like the other developers active on the project
>     generally agree with me.
>
>     Cheers,
>     TTimo
>

>     On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 5:11 AM, bebo_sudo <bebo.sudo at gmail.com
>     <mailto:bebo.sudo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi all folks,
>         I still am going to write about packaging gtkradiant for fedora.
>
>         Referring to the last mail I sent at the ML about the
>         permission errors [1], I searched in github the relative code
>         [2] and I think the "bug" is around the 71th line of this [3]
>         or this [4] file (which are equal?):
>
>                 /* write it */
>                 Sys_Printf( "Writing %s\n", filename );
>                 Sys_FPrintf( SYS_VRB, "(%d bytes)\n", bspEntDataSize );
>                 file = fopen( filename, "w" );
>
>                 if ( file == NULL ) {
>                         Error( "Unable to open %s for writing",
>         filename );
>                 }
>

>         I'm not a C programmer and do not know how difficult it would
>         be to create a shortcut (a symlink, or something else) to the
>         user home instead of writing in the containing folder, but if
>         there's someone who's able to solve this issue I would
>         appreciate it very much.
>
>         Thanks anyway,
> [...]

Thanks TTimo & ailmanki for your answers.

Trying to reply to TTimo, I would say that if the packaging system would
provide all the stuff that a package requires, there would not be so
much space in the repositories to contain all the data needed.
I don't want to quarrel about packaging, but I think a minimum of rules
are required. The Linux FHS [1] is a global common principle followed by
all the distributions, not only fedora. I simply can't put gtkradiant
data in the user home because is impossible to do in a package, and also
change folders permissions, like said here [2].

@ailmanki
I really don't know if the code I linked before was the right section
where the "problem" is, but is the only one where I found the words
"unable open writing", which exited when the exec can't write in the
current dir, as I reported in the fisrt mail [3]. I agree with you, the
exec tries to create a file in the folder which is contained, but if the
file is in a system folder owned by root user like /usr/share it can't
write and crashes.

I regret that we can not solve; I will ask around if anyone can help me
in this venture.
Meanwhile thanks for your work and the time you spend on this project!

Cheers,
bebo

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
[2]: