[Gtkradiant] ZeroRadiant and locale

Rudolf Polzer divVerent at alientrap.org
Sun Nov 14 23:51:14 CST 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 05:42:01PM -0800, Nerius Landys wrote:
>     I did some research and putenv() seems to be the best choice for being
> cross-platform.  It
>     used to be a function in Windows (now deprecated):
>       http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235321(VS.80).aspx
>     And of course it's defined in UNIX.
>
>     One more thing.  the gtk_init() call below modifies all of the locale
> settings.  In fact if it
>     weren't for gtk_init(), we wouldn't have to set LC_NUMERIC (parsing of
> floating points with
>     a dot works just fine before the gtk_init() call on a sample Linux system).
>   If we were to
>     just setlocale() here, it would get clobbered by gtk_init().  So instead of
> using setlocale()
>     _after_ gtk_init(), I chose to fix this problem via environment variable.
> I think it's cleaner
>     that way.
>   */
>   putenv("LC_NUMERIC=C");

In GtkRadiant 1.5 I find this:

  gtk_disable_setlocale();
  gtk_init(&argc, &argv);

which SEEMS to be an alternate fix for this. However, maybe something else
still calls setlocale? Also, I disagree a bit with this fix - I do think that
LC_CTYPE should have influence so the user can set an utf-8 locale.

Basically, the first thing I would need is a test case of this.