[Gtkradiant] Progress on broken Windows GtkRadiant build

Martin Gerhardy martin.gerhardy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 10:53:59 CST 2010

> Yep that's completely right. Missing different versions of the runtime
> DLL can lead to problems with memory allocation and freeing across DLL
> boundaries and other subtle stability issues.
>
> It does sound like Rambetter was able to get rid of the recently added
> binary dependencies though. If that's the case we should be on a
> complete VC6 / Visual Studio 2005 solution from the gtk binary
> dependencies side. I don't know if there is an Express edition (e.g.
> free) for 2005 though .. so we may still want to look at compiling the
> latest gtk for ourselves on 2008 (or even 2010).
>
> Another direction could be to move the whole infrastructure to the
> mingw compiler, but I worry about build times, on the EC2 box anything
> using mingw was horribly slow.

if you are going this direction - have a look at mingw-cross-env - every
of the needed libs for gtkradiant should be included, we are using it
for uforadiant, too. the only difference is that this build chain will
produce static binaries if you don't modify the gtk related stuff (which
might be a good idea for all those gtk deps anyway)

martin