[Gtkradiant] ZeroRadiant kicks butt!

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 14:22:18 CDT 2009

Hi guys.  I am the author of the Icy Jumps map series for Urban Terror
(www.icyjumps.com).  I also wrote a HOW-TO for Debian/Radiant/UrT:
http://daffy.nerius.com/radiant/ .  I also wrote some surface
generators: http://mapgen.nerius.com/ .  I just wanted to ask some
questions and share some thoughts.

There are a few features/patches to ZeroRadiant that I'm trying to
create.  But, I'm not much of a C programmer.  Perhaps someone could
tell me where to modify code to get these things:

1. In open/import map dialog window, allow to filter files by
extension, for example so only .map files appear, not cluttering the
file list with tons of other file types.
2. In open map dialog, either remember the resized dimensions of the
window for the next time it opens, or make it a bit larger (especially
taller) by default.  I have to resize the window every time I open a
map (to see more maps in the list instead of just 10 or so) and I
open/import a damn lot of maps.  This problem in combination with not
being able to filter just .map files makes things pretty annoying.
3. For the cubic clip function (basically, cull objects that are far
away from the camera), I'd like to adjust the clipping distance to
make it larger.  I would do this either in the code (hardcoded) or
maybe there are some controls/configs to do this, but I'm just missing
them.  Don't know where to find this in the code.  There must be a
constant somewhere.

Because I feel that Urban Terror (my main game of interest) is dying a
slow death due to lack of attention by the developers or Urban Terror,
I would like to move into making maps for some other games as well,
and perhaps you could recommend games to try.

1. The game must run on Linux.
2. Preferably, the maps for this game can be made using Radiant.
3. Preferably, but not realistically, the game is free.
4. The game must have a substantially large user base, larger than
that of Urban Terror.
5. 3rd party maps must be abundant for this game, and there must be a
substantial group of enthusiasts making maps for this game.

Any recommendations?

- Rambetter