[Gtkradiant] Crash fix patches for trunk

Timothee Besset ttimo at idsoftware.com
Thu Dec 31 11:39:31 CST 2009

Markus Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I thought I'm going to communicate some patches, I assume it's not like
> everyone is jumping onto github not and watching the commits. I'm
> sparing the feature additions I'm doing for now, as I don't know what
> the goals of trunk at id are anyway.
>
> Compilation error on Windows with VC++2008 Express. Not sure if it's
> really necessary or if it's just my setup; Linux wasn't affected.
> http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant/commit/cb83767629e61c3753e0d760f2a7fa90362a332e.diff

Applied.

> Fix crash when no game configuration or installation packs were found
> http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant/commit/b729ef16153a984be2847ec310e3ffa5ebe1d938.diff

Didn't apply cleanly? Looked fine though so I manually put it in.

> Fix race condition crash: cannot open prefs when no game is selected.
> That change is rather big for what it does, may not be appropriate and
> well, isn't that necessary anyway.
> http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant/commit/e11933c7b11d67e4a11ca63ecca808203df6e684.diff

Skipped.

> Fix crash in model plugin when shut down.
> http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant/commit/d68efd997c66bbe88bfbba431e8aa69e7f96d84c.diff

Applied.

> [Linux] Fix crash and data loss when saving shader, report by Rambetter.
> http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant/commit/625a42c77551351f5821468351b9d6ef2bb41a24.diff

Applied.

> [Linux] Fix attempt: models with upper case letters in the path are not
> shown, reported by Rambetter.
> http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant/commit/4ae38a57e61bda27e99d75001400892931c28c62.diff

I don't know about this. The fix is simple enough, but a much better
policy is to *never* use uppercase for any reason whatsoever when
working with idtech3 on non windows operating systems.

Windows filesystem, for which the game engine, level editor and map
compiling tools were primarily developed is case insensitive (although
case "aware"). When files are packed into zip (pk3) files it just so
happens that the file search is case insensitive as well on non-windows
operating systems.

Still if you try to work with an expanded assets tree for day to day
level design and game production work with tech3 and GtkRadiant on a non
windows operating system, you will risk many subtle problems if you have
files and paths with uppercase letters.

This fix is really only the tip of the iceberg and I'd rather not go
there at all. Our policy at id is to refuse checkins to baseq3/ if some
files have uppercase letters (which can be easily enforced with a commit
hook script in subversion).

TTimo