[Gtkradiant] Further GtkRadiant development?

Markus Fischer markus at fischer.name
Sun Dec 27 10:05:37 CST 2009

Hi,

I've created a clone of GtkRadiant on github [1] and added a few things,
fixed crashes I found, etc. I'm tracking my changes in the NEWS [2] file.

My initial motivation was to move my map development over to 1.6 as I
found it has some features I'm missing in 1.5 . I discovered that the
two version differ quite and started to miss things in 1.6 I had in 1.5 .

Due trunk/ having the latest developer changes, instead of going back to
1.5 I started working on in-cooperating the missing things into trunk, I
also find that the trunk source is a bit nicer organized.

However I soon discovered how *much* they're different and it boils down
to that the number of things I'm missing increases and that I also
experience incompatibility problems when continuing work on maps I
created with 1.5, they would load in 1.6 but as soon as I save them,
some parts, notable related to func_groups, simply get removed.

As I currently stand I don't know which direction to head, whether to
continue improving trunk or going a step back and evaluate using 1.5 to
build on further work.

If there's anyone having interest in development and has time for it or
some view on the things I said, please speak up :-)

regards,
- Markus

[1] http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant
[2] http://github.com/mfn/GtkRadiant/blob/mfn/NEWS