[Gtkradiant] q3map2 -convert -format map - working on texture alignment

Forest Hale lordhavoc at ghdigital.com
Sat Dec 29 18:37:03 CST 2007

Rudolf Polzer wrote:
> - brushes get split up into multiple brushes, making the map harder to
>   edit (the CSG Merge tool comes in handy then)

I wonder what causes this, it sounds very odd to me.

> - lighting gets lost (unless the map originally had _keeplights in its
>   worldspawn entity)

To be honest I've always hated the fact that _keeplights exists, because it means that the map is not properly decompileable by default, and even more importantly the q3map2 lights can't be loaded by
DarkPlaces engine if they're missing (it can render them in realtime lighting mode - although I haven't put much effort into making them the correct size/color/etc because most bsp files don't even
have them due to lack of _keeplights).

> - some special kinds of entities break (billboards, for example, use
>   their own surface type, but no idea what they even are)

q3map2 does not even produce these, and quake3 does not render them, I think openquake is the only project that cares about them at all.

More importantly they are directly associated with light sources and thus there is no reason to recover them from the bsp file.

--
LordHavoc
Author of DarkPlaces Quake1 engine and mod