[Gtkradiant] Q1 in radiant

Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:25:12 +0100

Great news. I think that HL game pack already brought in wad file support
(unless HL's .wad are different from Q1's .wad ..)
see http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/HalfLifePack/gametoo=
ls/

Radiant is broken down into several independant modules (.dll files on
win32, .so on Linux), which expose APIs to the core. Everything is glued
together by synapse. A good point to start is to start the editor and log
the console during startup. Then examine the log file to get an idea how
it works.

synapse.config file for HL:
http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/HalfLifePack/=
gametools/synapse.config?rev=3D1.2

the "map" API is the basic API to load/save maps
in HL it currently points to the "maphl" minor:
    <api name=3D"map">
      maphl
    </api>

you need to replace maphl by mapq1 and to write the mapq1 version of the
map API. This is likely to be code from the map module in plugins/mapq3

The name says "plugins/mapq3", but it's really the generic map format
loader. The implementation is just a few files, you should be able to
figure it out quite easily.

One thing about developement: it would be great if you could post patches
regularly, at least as soon as you have something tangible that others can
play with. Typically once you have a mapq1 load/save. We'll very likely
create a cvs branch to work on this, and if all goes well we'll get you
direct write access to the repository.

TTimo

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:40:38 +0100
"Dimitrios Grigoriadis" <dgrigoriadis@web.de> wrote:

> Thank you guys,=20
> I think that implementation of reading wads won't be the problem. I'm eno=
ugh familiar with the map format (worldcraft editor should be the same). No=
w with the SDK I got for radiant, I have to go through the projects to look=
 at this HL implementation stuff. Where exactly is that? Hope I downloaded =
the latest version of the sdk.=20
> I think I will first take the hl implementation as base and work from the=
re to q1. Map file format the compile tools and the quake.def will be proba=
bly the most important thing.