[Gtkradiant] mo' bullshit

Gef gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:41:15 +1100

Maybe we should take advantage of the exposure this rant/diary/whatever is
getting (linked from a couple of news sites), to up the level of feedback we're
getting. Perhaps declare a "complain about radiant day" or "bug week" (with a
cooler name obviously ;) or something to encourage people that are noticing
bugs to report them when they wouldn't usually. This could also be tied into the
releases that we do (i seem to remember doing release candidates more often
than we do now).

Using the next stable release (1.2.7) as an example;
-> Release 1.2.7 as rc/update/nightly/testing/whatever
Encourage everyone to use/test it and report bugs stating explicitly that it is
not a stable release, however stable it is, maybe simplifying the bug reporting
process could help here also. Once the 1.2.7 version is released, no features
are added, only bug fixes.
-> Release 1.2.8 as stable
Begin adding features, and fixing reported bugs for the 1.2.9 release.
-> rinse & repeat, version++;

This method is similar to linux kernel releases, in some respects, where odd
numbered releases are considered test releases, and even numbers, stable.

I think it's also important not to jump on people who are reporting duplicate
bugs, which would discourage them imho...  Atleast they're making the effort
to report them to begin with, and that needs to be encouraged. Maybe adding
who reported the bug to the changelog, or the new website would encourage
them in some way. A bug reporting plugin could be something to look at.

Also I agree with ydnar about the package size, 20mb+ (rad+q3a+wolf) is a
touch large *g*. And there haven't been any major changes to the q3a media
for a long time now, so redistributing that with each major release shouldn't
really be necessary. The down side to breaking it up into smaller modules is
that it may be confusing for new mappers.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Gef :]