[Gtkradiant] Realtime lighting approach issues.

ydnar gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:26:11 -0700

Perhaps Bert Peers would be so kind as to lend us his BSP renderer source.

I like UnrealEd's approach to the textured 3d view...it just draws the BSP. Any brushes/stuff that's changed get
rendered as well, unlit.

From: <monsto@comcast.net>
To: <gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2002 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Gtkradiant] Realtime lighting approach issues.

| I might have missed something but all of the discussion i've seen on realtime lighting in radiant SEEMS to be based on
point lighting. Me and many other ppl i know use a mostly shader based lighting (80-90%), which presents a completely
different issue when considering lightgrid spacing and other shader effects.

| IMO-- Actually seeing the light being cast on surfaces isn't as important as seeing where it's going to fall. UED, for
example, can show the effective radius of pointlights. it's just a red line circle that changes dynamically with
parameter changes. The ued version is spatially odd to look at cuz it doesn't stop at surfaces that it affects... but
once you figure it out it helps quite a bit. a better featured version of this would achieve the goal of reducing the
number of redundant light compiles.

| off the top of my head here. . . what about a "preview plugin" that requires a compiled bsp, and presents a 3d view of
the bsp with radiants lighting ents?

| with a bsp, you'd have all the things that ydnar listed that aren't avail to radiant, and being a separate
window/process, you could 'start from scratch' with the renderer without mucking up the radiant renderer with a "view
realtime lighting" pref. (would radiant have to sleep to use it tho)

| >Message: 3 From: "ydnar" <ydnar@shaderlab.com> To:
| ><gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com> Subject: Re: [Gtkradiant] Realtime
| >lighting approach issues.
| >Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:29:04 -0700 Reply-To:
| >gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
| >
| >Realtime. Heh. Please consider the following:
| >
| >1. The Q3Map attenuation model could be approximated sufficiently with
| >ATi/nVidia pixel shaders on modern rendering hardware.
| >
| >2. Every unique lightsource/surface interaction requires one or more
| >rendering passes.
| >
| >3. Stencil shadows are expensive for two reasons: 1. Determining
| >silhouette edges. An unsorted collection of convex solids (brushes) is
| >sub-ideal for creating stencil volumes.
| >2. Fillrate: Every shadow volume cutting through the view frustum exacts
| >a fillrate cost.
| >
| >Given 2 and 3 respectively, assume that Doom III uses less than 8 lights
| >per scene. It is also rendering geometry optimized for stencil shadows.
| >
| >An average Quake 3 scene has significantly more than 8 lights.
| >
| >Radiant's scene graph is an unordered collection of brushes. No
| >visibility information, no hierarchy of geometry, no pre-calculated edge
| >lists.
| >
| >So forget about realtime.

| >small tweaks). It uses brush data to determine sample occlusion, so |
| >>the lightmaps/vertex light for the map file | >would suffice for BSP
| >lightmaps.
| >realtime.
| >ties BSP drawsurfaces | >and/or individual tris to their original source
| >* Modify Radiant's renderer to draw a hybrid of the map's source brushes
| >draws source brushes/ents ONLY, ignoring | >the surfs/tris that
| >correspond in the BSP | > | >This approach is similar to how UnrealEd
| >works (the lighting preview just | >uses the Unreal renderer to draw the
| >compiled | >BSP). The other nice thing about this approach is that if
| >Radiant loaded | >the BSP every time it was written out by Q3Map, |
| >>mappers could see the radiosity solution in-progress without having to |