Binary permissions

R Tucker rtucker at phnc.net
Tue Dec 21 05:56:29 EST 2004

Another Linux newbie for you.  Damn I feel stupid sometimes.
Our Rifles Only COD server is located at GDN Networks in Atlanta, GA.  After
taking takign all of the time on a 384kbps upload to FTP the new files, I
restarted the server and was getting NOTHING. After fighting with the server
and learning new commands, I fgured out how to use the SCREEN command to get
me on the same page as the server executable.  It seemed I had a
"permissions denied" error.  Damned if I knew what this meant.  I emailed
GDN and will probably get a reply from them sometime today.

After my email, I started googling this error and came up with something
that I didn't realize Linux could do.  Unlike WinXP, by native OS, Linux
(and I assume most Unix type OS's) has a file permission for execution.
After googling again, I found the MODCH command and it's instructions,
changed the attributes of the cod_lnxded binary, and restarted.  Everything
seems to be working fine ever since except for PB saying it was out of date
(1.074)  This was remedied by the server automatically it seems.

SO.  To make a long story short (too late).  It seems that GDN's server
automatically give the uploaded binaries -re-r--r-- for the permissions.
Check this if you receive the "permissions denied" error when restarting
your server after the update.

This was the final U.S. server waiting for the update for our clan.  The
other two servers are Win2003 servers in Dallas.  Fell free to check out our
3 servers anytime.  You'll find me and a varying number of other players in
there nearly every night.

Robert Tucker
TOG | Preston Hill
www.theoldergamers.com

TOG www.theoldergamers.com 67.18.168.107:28960
TOG www.theoldergamers.com 67.18.168.110:28960
TOG www.theoldergamers.com - RIFLES 216.180.224.98:28965

The rifles server still needs a bit of work.  It was AWE before with a
in-house rifle mod.  AWE is back under development for COD and the rifle mod
should probably be redone to.  Will be done sometime today.