[cod] Multiple COD:UO servers on the same box

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Fri Dec 10 08:11:19 EST 2004

I will have to investigate this further.  Which distributions are you
referring to?

This would be a crying shame!  I would hardly think it would
make sense to change the use of the sticky bit.  It's intent
and impact was indeed quite real.  This would be more like
MS Office programming, not an O.S. Fat cats get at it?

If every invocation of Linux is copied to swap, they have
regressed to days prior to AT&T Unix System V.3. Why
would they do this?  Sell more Ram? Enjoy waiting while
the same text pages from the same executable are loaded
to swap?

On my RH Enterprise 3.0.  Fresh boot, loading a utility I
developed a ways back, loads itself, then recursively calls
subroutines, and allocates normal heap and stack (by default,
it can be set, and has some Shared Memory options as well),
from my olden days, shows on repeated load, the amount of
virtual memory utilization did not increase, nor did the swap
space allocated.

(Commercial distributions we run on our IBM platforms, even
up to the time they switched from AIX acted in this manner...
I can't say it is this way for all distributions. However if this is
the case, than IMPO, Linux just became an inferior Cheap
Unix. I wouldn't mind... if it not been removed!

I have seen your writing before, and indeed I believe you, and
the  quote, I just "cant' believe" the quote.  Are they referring
to perhaps a "regular" non-executable file (I refer to in Kernel
speak as text, hope that did not confuse anyone..)...  When I say
"Text pages", I am referring to the "executable code" that is either
static, or dynamic through a shared  "reentrant" library....

I will be able to check RH 9.0, Mandrake 10.1, (which I just
received an update on) SuSe 7.3, and Slackware 7.1
This would really bum me out Steve...

With Regards

Mark

ps. I was rushing to catch a train... didn't see the long tail...

Mark J. DeFilippis, Ph. D EE          defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org